U.S. immigration law (INA §213A) requires intending immigrants in family-based visa categories khổng lồ show that they have sầu financial tư vấn in the United States. The U.S. citizen or permanent resident that petitions a family thành viên for a green card also must file Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. The affidavit of support is a legal contract between the petitioner and the U.S. government. On Form I-864, petitioners must prove sầu that they have the ability khổng lồ financially support the visa applicant(s) if necessary. Additionally, the petitioner must provide proof of domicile in the United States.

Bạn đang xem: Proof of address là gì

In fact, there are three fundamental requirements for acting as the sponsor on the affidavit of support. The sponsor must:

Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident age 18 or older;Have sầu income 125% above the federal poverty line; andProvide proof of domicile in the United States.

If you’re planning khổng lồ petition a family thành viên for a green thẻ, you’ll most likely need to tệp tin Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, và prove your U.S. domicile.

What is Country of Domicile on Form I-864, Affidavit of Support?

An I-864 sponsor must be domiciled in the United States. In very simple terms, U.S. domicile means that you live in the United States. More precisely, your principal residence must be located in the United States (to include the District of Columbia and U.S. territories), và you plan to lớn maintain a principal residence in the U.S. for the foreseeable future. It’s okay lớn move sầu to another state within the United States; the United States continues lớn be your domicile.

Temporary travel khổng lồ another country does not disrupt your U.S. domicile. If you take a short vacation abroad or even visit family in another country for a couple of months, you continue to lớn have sầu a U.S. domicile as long as the United States remains your permanent trang chủ and you always intend lớn return.

Xem thêm: Cần Bán Chim Cu Khách Chuẩn, Mua Chim Cu Khách Giá Tốt Trên Toàn Quốc

For most people, this is straightforward. If you live at a U.S. address, your country of domicile is the United States. But for some people with employment overseas or lengthy visits abroad, it becomes more difficult khổng lồ define & provide proof of domicile on Form I-864.

Documents to Prove sầu U.S. Domicile

For the typical sponsor who has always lived in the United States, no special evidence is required khổng lồ prove sầu domicile. Other supporting documents, such as federal tax returns, help establish U.S. domicile. If the sponsoring petitioner has lived abroad within the past couple of years, adjudicators may require the sponsor lớn provide additional evidence of current domicile in the U.S. The burden of proof is on the sponsor. Examples of documents that a sponsor can use to establish evidence of domicile include but are not limited to:

Federal income tax returnstrang chủ ownership or active sầu lease with evidence of maintaining homeU.S. ngân hàng trương mục or other investmentsPay stubs from U.S. employerRegistering lớn vote (if a U.S. citizen only)Children’s registration in school

Living Abroad Temporarily

A U.S. citizen may live sầu abroad, but it will create a challenge when proving your country of domicile is the United States. A lawful permanent resident may also have extended visits abroad lớn be with family members, business or other reasons. But “living” abroad or extensive trips can create additional problems for permanent residents (read more).

If you are not currently living in the United States, you must provide proof that your trip abroad is temporary & that your country of domicile remains the United States. Examples of proof include:

Your voting record in the United States;Records of paying U.S. state or local taxes;Having property in the United States;Maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States;Having a permanent mailing address in the United States; orOther proof such as evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay.

Additional evidence that ties to the U.S. were maintained could include receipts for storage facilities in the U.S., subscriptions or contributions lớn organizations in the U.S., proof of visits to family and friends in the U.S., proof of having renewed a U.S. driver’s license, and even relevant correspondence with institutions, colleagues, family, & friends that communicates your intentions khổng lồ return khổng lồ the United States.

Employment Abroad

Some individuals employed abroad are automatically considered as domiciled in the United States because of the nature of their employment. The qualifying types of employment include employment by:

The U.S. Government (including the U.S. armed forces);A U.S. firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce with the United States, or a subsidiary of such a firm or corporation;A public international organization in which the United States participates by treaty or statute;A religious denomination having a bomãng cầu fide organization in the United States, if the employment abroad involves the person’s performance of priestly or ministerial functions on behalf of the denomination; orA religious denomination or interdenominational missionary organization having a bona fide organization in the United States, if the person is engaged solely as a missionary.